European Steel Bridge Awards 2022
The objective is to give European recognition to steel and composite bridges emphasizing the various advantages of steel in construction, production, economy, sustainability and architecture, and to attract the interest of clients, architects and engineers in using more steel within the bridge construction sector, thereby making the steel industry more competitive.
The Awards are open to steel and composite bridges of which steel structures were designed or fabricated in the ECCS Full Member countries primarily. If the project is multinational, it can also be submitted in accordance with the submission procedure
Two main categories of bridges will be awarded:
1. Road / Railway bridges
2. Cycle / Pedestrian bridges
In addition, the jury may award Special Awards, such as:
• Sustainable bridges (e.g. low maintenance, low life cycle cost),
• Concepts such as floating bridges,
• Refurbishment of an existing bridges (major retrofit, expansion or rehabilitation or partial replacement) using steel,
• Creative design and realisation.
The Steel Bridge Awards process takes place every two years. Unfortunately it had to be cancelled in 2020 due to the covid crisis.
The International Jury 2022 was composed of:
- Bernhard Hauke, Chairman ECCS Promotional Management Board
- Annamarie Hagoort, Chairwoman ECCS AC4 Architectural Awards
- Dennis Rademacher, Chairman ECCS AC3 Bridge Committee
- Nesrin Yardimci, President of 10th International Symposium for Steel Bridges and Head of Civil Engineering Dpt, Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Ahmet Alataş, Architect and owner of AAW Ahmet Alataş Workshop, Turkey
- Tina Vejrum, Vice-President of International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE)
- Klaus Thürriedl, President of European Council of Engineers Chambers (ECEC)
- Véronique Dehan, ECCS Secretary General (ex officio)
On 31st May 2022, the Professional Jury met in the ECCS Offices in Brussels in order to select the winners of the 2022 European Steel Bridge Awards. Among 23 projects received from all over Europe, one winner per category has been elected by the Jury and will be awarded during the 2022 ESBA Ceremony of 21st September 2022 in Istanbul in the frame of the 10th International Symposium for Steel Bridges for a Green Planet.
Road and Railway Bridges ESBA2022 winner:
T1915 Çanakkale Bridge, Turkey
Connecting Europe with Asia, the 1915 Çanakkale Bridge is the legitimate younger sister of the Golden Gate Bridge and thus a new landmark of the region. The world’s largest span suspension bridge and tallest sea crossing has been built on challenging ground conditions to resist high winds and major seismic actions. The innovative mega engineering structure is also architecturally appealing. Built with appropriate high strength steels in comparatively short time the bridge enables save and durable operations. Such kind of high-end structures nourish the fascination for modern steel construction.
Cycle and Pedestrian Bridges ESBA2022 winner:
Bridge De Lille Langebro, Denmark (submitted by The Netherlands)
The movable bridge across the Copenhagen harbor is a slender and elegant masterpiece of structural and mechanical engineering design and a very sophisticated structural steel work. The mid-span hydraulically moved mechanical moment stiff connection enables the fine impression of lightness over the waters. Such a complex structure of high precision demonstrates the means of structural steel in an adorable way.
Special Modular Bridge Award ESBA2022 winner:
Erection of 148 Metallic Modular Bridges for Peruvian Government, Peru (submitted by Portugal)
The beauty of effective engineering design in terms of fabrication, logistics and erection as well as structural performance is convincing. The results of detailing and optimization, short construction time, reduction of employed material, durability with modern hot dip galvanizing, options of reusability, modular systems, universal application, or affordability are the perfect agenda of engineered sustainable steel construction.
Awards Ceremony for the European Steel Bridge Award 2022
The European Steel Bridge Awards 2022 will be given during the 2022 ESBA Ceremony of 21st September 2022 in Istanbul in the frame of the 10th International Symposium for Steel Bridges for a Green Planet.
The material is copyright-free for press-release and publication referring to ECCS Steel Bridge Awards (no advertising). Pictures will be made available here.